Friday, March 7, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 37

This week's challenge was to create a card that wasn't a standard rectangle. Well, I usually struggle with squares, so I didn't go in that direction here. Instead, I went with circles and ovals to create a pair of non-rectangular cards, along with some help from my Nestabilities dies and my new Playful Ovals stamp set from Kitchen Sink Stamps.

I used a bold black, white and red color scheme for both cards. The image/sentiment panel is pretty much the same for both cards, with the only difference being the placement of the flower embellishment. I used the "thank you" sentiment from the Never a Loss 4 Words set along with one of the images from Playful Ovals. I stamped the images in chalk inks, then filled in the flower centers with a clear Stardust pen for some sparkle. And, yes, this card uses another one of the shimmery paper flowers from the bucket of floral confetti I picked up at Michaels last weekend. For the oval version of the card, I added a piece of dotted patterned paper to the mix. The sentiment panel is layered on a scalloped oval and attached to the card with dimensionals.

On the oval card, I tied a scrap of black ribbon around the fold. I found a tiny scrap of red ribbon to thread through the knotted black ribbon for a little more color.

For the circle card, I wanted to make a card base larger than my Nestabilities would allow. I turned once again to my very high tech (not!) collection of plastic lids to trace and create the card base and large circle layers. These are yet another tool left over from my kindergarten classroom that I've managed to convert to a crafting purpose. I've punched a hole in each of the lids and used a metal ring to keep them together so they're easy to find when I need them.

I used craft ink to stamp the small flower bunch image randomly on the black cardstock layer .
I found a piece of red grosgrain ribbon with a floral pattern that coordinated well with the stamped images (I love when that happens!) and tied that across the scalloped oval panels on the cardfront. They're layered and attached with dimensionals.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge players have come up with for this week's challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.

Materials Used:
Playful Ovals and Never a Loss 4 Words stamp sets, Flame Dew Drops, Midnight Black and Red Magic Versamagic chalk inks (Kitchen Sink Stamps); oval, petite oval, scalloped oval, and petite scalloped oval dies (Nestabilities); Real Red and Basic Black cardstock Real Red Prints Series designer paper, White Craft ink, Basic Black and Real Red grosgrain ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); red printed grosgrain ribbon (Michaels dollar bin); shimmery white floral confetti (Michaels); red brad (Joann); clear Stardust pen (Sakura)

26 comments:

  1. Great cards Lori. Circles are so in right now. Very creative ways of making your shapes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, Lori. I think I like the 2nd one best...very flowery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the circle one the best! I love those little flowers - so cute! I need to try a circle card - for some reason they scare me! Ha ha! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, these are both delightful. I can't decide which is best, they're both so cute. Love the colors and all the layers...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both great! Love the black and POP of red!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them both Lori! And great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cards Lori!! The circle one is my fav! Love the daisy background!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cute Lori! Love how they turned out! Very springy! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them! Nice layout ... cute flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Lori. I like how you combined the circles with the oval...and the colors totally ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both adorable, Lori! Love the colors you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of these turned out great - love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are very striking! Very interesting look! Great cards...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the circle and oval combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love the contrasting colors on the circle card, but both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori, these are totally cute!!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are both great cards Lori. The colors are so striking and like MJ said, Circle cards are "in" right now. I would have never though to use a lid for a template (clever). Love the dew drop on the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great cards Lori! I love the great contrast you got with these colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both cards are wonderful! I love how you combined both ovals and circles on the one card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great cards, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...Beautiful Cards!!
    Great Idea..fun circle shapes.
    Very pretty papers and colors.
    Very creative..

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great - both shape and color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love both cards. Excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips