Friday, April 25, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 44

This week's challenge was a color challenge including Brocade Blue, Chocolate Chip, Certainly Celery, and So Saffron. Since two of these colors are found the the Prints Series designer paper sampler that was available last spring, I immediately thought this would be a great opportunity to use up some of the many scraps that I've accumulated. I ended up with two completely different cards to meet the challenge

The first card ended up based around this scrap of So Saffron Prints series paper. I thought these colors would work well with this cute owl image and matching sentiment from Gina K's Owl Always Love You set.

I colored the image with Copic markers, using color tones close to the challenge colors for most of the image. I sponged some Brocade Blue ink around the image to create a sky. The image and mat are cut out with petite oval Nestabilities dies.

I have a jar of brown and blue felt flowers from American Crafts in my embellishment collection. I noticed that some of the flowers are a similar shape to the flowers in the image, so I pulled out a dark brown one and dressed it up with a sparkly green brad. This and the Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon are my small nod to the Chocolate Chip required for the challenge.

Materials Used:
Owl Always Love You stamp set (Gina K); Brocade Blue and Chocolate Chip Classic inks, Brocade Blue and Certainly Celery cardstock, So Saffron Prints Series designer paper, Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon, sponge (Stampin' Up!); markers (Copic Ciao); Waterfall Stickles (Ranger); clear Glaze pen(Sakura); felt flower (American Crafts); rhinestone brad (Target); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance)

My second card for the color challenge uses one of Papertrey Ink's new stamp sets, Garden of Life. I randomly stamped one of the bold flower images in Brocade Blue, filled in the centers with So Saffron, and added leaves using Certainly Celery. I inked around the edges of the stamped panel with some celery ink and added clear "page pebbles" to the centers of the flowers as an accent.

The sentiment is stamped in Chocolate Chip ink in the top right corner of the panel. It looked a little "lost" to me, so I added a So Saffron brad next to it to draw some attention to it.

Another scrap of Prints Series designer paper, this time a dotted piece of Certainly Celery, was used across the bottom of the card along with a tiny scrap of So Saffron. I'm really making an effort to reduce some of my piles of cardstock scraps . . .

For more inspiration, check out what the other blogger challenge participants have created with this color combo. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right. I'll be back later today with a project for Papertrey Ink's April Blog Hop . . .

Materials Used:
Garden of Life stamp set, Brocade Blue, So Saffron, Certainly Celery, and Chocolate Chip Classic inks, Chocolate Chip, Brocade Blue, So Saffron, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Certainly Celery Prints Series designer paper, Rich Regals brads (Stampin' Up!); celery satin ribbon (BasicBasic Ribbon); page pebbles (Joann)

13 comments:

  1. Two great cards, love the flowers on your second card. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are wonderful Lori. I especially love that Gina K owl...he has the funniest expression on his face! Your sentiment is such a nice reminder to a friend! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Lori! That owl is a hoot! The flowers on your second card are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The felt flower on your owl card adds just the right touch, and the page pebbles for your flower centers give the flowers great diimension.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 2 great cards! That owl is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Lori. Both cards are terrific! The little owl is adorable, and the dimensional flowers on the second card give the card such class. Wonderful job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards! Your Sunflower Card reminds me of a nice balmy summer day (wish we were having that kind of weather here right now).
    Gotta love that "Owl" as he is just so cute. Love the felt flower accent too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are both so wonderful! Your coloring on the owl card is fantastic and I love the page pebbles that you added to the flower centers on the other card! What a great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both stunning! I love the how the owl card is so vibrant and the middle of the flowers on the second card are gorgeous! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! 2 cards this week. I love the owl on the first card and that felt flower is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't pick a favorite - but the owls are wearing on me. :) I just saw that set last night and am putting it on my list. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards are fabulous! Love the owl!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips