Monday, April 7, 2008

Rust Bird Duo

I had some scraps of Fall Flowers paper sitting out on my table and they quickly became part of this card using Lauren's Saturday Sketch and today's SCS technique challenge.

The bird pair is from the Doodle Factory line at Starving Artistamps. I colored them with Copic markers to match the colors in the patterned papers and added some details to the image with a black Glaze pen and a Stardust glitter pen. The birds are matted on a slightly larger Sahara Sand circle, then attached over the patterned paper strips with dimensionals. I found a rust colored Prima flower and added that, along with an acrylic dome floral embellishment at the center, to the edge of the bird image.

I added a little embellishment to the Groovy Guava panel. I put a scalloped strip along the bottom edge of the panel. On the top edges, I used my corner rounder to soften the panel a little.

Today's SCS technique challenge was to layer ribbon, so I wrapped a pair of ribbons around the cardfront. The wide twill is tied all the way around the Groovy Guava panel and knotted in front. The narrow poly twill is attached to the wider twill with Duck adhesive. I simply rolled the adhesive on one side of the ribbon and placed it on the twill, starting at the knot and moving towards the edge of the panel. The knot hides the end of the ribbon and makes it look like it's continuous. Then did the same thing on the other side of the knot. I made sure to cut the thin twill just a little longer than the length needed so I could wrap a little bit around the back of the panel to keep it securely in place. I really like the way this looks so I'll probably be trying it again soon. It's a easy way to change up the look of ribbon and to use more of the tons of ribbon scraps I've accumulated and that are threatening to take over my crafting space.

Materials Used:
bird image and sentiment (Starving Artistamps); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); markers (Copic Ciao); Stardust pen, black Glaze pen (Sakura); circle dies (Nestabilities); flower (Prima); clear acrylic dome embellishment (Michaels); wide twill (Martha Stewart); Really Rust Classic ink, Really Rust, Groovy Guava, and Sahara Sand cardstock, Fall Flowers designer paper, corner rounder, slit punch, Chocolate Chip poly twill ribbon, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is so flippin cute. Love the rounded top and the scallops! Colors are fabulous as always. Just SO cute. So spring too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card, the colors are amazing on these birds! I've tagged you on my blog fellow guest designer and new swapping buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and the layout of this card - it is just darling!! What a great idea to use the two twills together too - looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is awesome ! Loooove those birds...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Lori, this is wonderful! I love those birds and the colors of this card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is fantastic, love these birds, I have been into birds lately and these are fantastic, great card

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE what you've done with this sketch! Fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The birds are so lovely - i like the colors at the card.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips