Friday, May 16, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 47

I'm glad it's finally Friday! This week has seemed so long . . . I took today off from work, which is good because it's a rainy day and I dread having to drive to work on rainy days since the rain makes the drive miserable. I just wish that I didn't have to take Cosmo the crazy dog back to the vet yet again. Wet, mad dog in my car in the rain is not a good thing! Anyway, on to the stamped stuff. This week's challenge was to use a layout featured on page 21 of the current SU! Occasions mini catalog. I had a hard time with this one (it is a *challenge* after all . . .) and I'm not too thrilled about what I came up with, but I decided to share it anyway.

I found this fun patterned paper with a "Happy Birthday" theme in my pile of patterned papers and thought it would work well for the large panel on the cardfront. Since I was working with a birthday theme, I used the candle images from Big Birthday Candle for the main image. I stamped the candles on scraps and trimmed around them, then attached them to the white panel. The colors coordinate more IRL than they appear to in the photo. The candle flames are highlighted with some Dazzling Diamonds. The candle panel covered a little more of the patterned paper than I thought it would when I envisioned this project.

I debated doing some machine stitching along the left side of the panel, but ended up taking an easier route. I had some green ric rac left on my desk from another recent project and decided to add a little of that to the cardfront instead of stitching.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge participants created using this layout. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Big Birthday Candle stamp set, Tempting Turquoise, Yoyo Yellow, and Green Galore Classic inks, Tempting Turquoise, Green Galore, and Whisper White cardstock, Certainly Celery grosgrain ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, Dazzling Diamonds, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); ric rac (Walmart); patterned paper (DCWV)

18 comments:

  1. I think your card is wonderful Lori. You did a good job in keeping with the sketch (which I did not do...lol) I also took the day off from work, but for the first time in 3 days, the sun is actually shining here. Too bad I'm held up in the basement doing laundry and finishing up projects...lol

    Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors with these big fun and sparkly candles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy and cheerful Happy Birthday card you made. You did a great job on the challenge. Love all the different ribbon you used in place of the stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the words in the background, that was my original thought too and I really like how it turned out. I ended up in a different direction. I think it look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! We picked the same set to use... Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely darling card! I love these candles and the fun colors that you used! It really turned out great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the candles, this is a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so cute - I just love those candles......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun and cute! Love the designer paper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those big candles and the DP behind looks GREAT! What a fun card! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! Love the bright, fun colors! Great job with the challenge! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! The rickrack was a great choice. I think I NEED this set...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's bright and cheerful, what's not to love! I like how you added the rickrack to the side and also used piercing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sparkles and the DSP that you chose is way cute! Love the rick-rack embellishment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The patterned paper works great with the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card. I love the colors and your patterned paper. Enjoy the day off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute card Lori! I love the way you used the pp with the sketch.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips