Monday, June 16, 2008

Ahoy!

It definitely is Monday! There have been several water main breaks in my area over the last 24 hours and I woke up to news that residents should not drink the water without boiling it. Of course, this was after I showered, brushed my teeth, and gave Cosmo the crazy dog a big, clean bowl of tap water. We're now supposed to restrict water use for the next three days or so. Hello, Target (and three cases of bottled water, plus 2 gallons for Cosmo) at 8:15 on the way to work . . . Then I had my grad school classes after work. I got home from class frustrated, upset, and overwhelmed. The paper I worked on this weekend was done incorrectly and I have major revision work to do by Wednesday. Perhaps if the instructor had presented clear expectations and guidelines for the paper prior to tonight's class, this could have been avoided. One of the things we have been discussing in class is the importance of being "transparent" in what you're doing--something which is definitely not happening in the instruction.

So, I needed to spend a little time calming down and collecting my thoughts before I sat down to do the necessary revisions (or at least what I can accomplish before I collapse!). I created a quick card using the sketch from a new challenge blog, Our Creative Corner. Having a sketch to work with made the card come together well within the 30 minute time limit I gave myself before I needed to get to work on my paper.

I stamped one of the new C. C. Designs Glam Girl images on a piece of white cardstock and colored her with Copic markers. I knew I wanted a kind of nautical look given her hat and the sentiment--how appropriate for a day when we can't use the water! I found this striped paper in my collection. It really lends itself to the theme. I tied a piece of red ribbon with white piping around the striped panel. The ribbon is by Martha Stewart and was part of her Christmas collection. Works well for this, too!

The panel behind the image is embossed with my Cuttlebug D'Vine Swirls embossing folder. I rubbed a bit of shimmery white pigment ink over the raised portions of the image to highlight them.

Hopefully, things will be better soon. I plan to be back with another creation tomorrow evening before getting back to my paper . . .

Materials Used:
Glam Girl image and sentiment (C. C. Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); Moonlight White pigment ink (Brilliance); patterned paper (Making Memories); D'Vine Swirls embossing folder (Cuttlebug); ribbon (Martha Stewart); markers (Copic Ciao); white cardstock (Xerox); Soft Sky, Real Red, and Night of Navy cardstock, circle punches, dimensional (Stampin' Up!); red brad (Joann)

8 comments:

  1. Awesome card Lori! Love those Glam Girls...they are fun aren't they?
    Sorry to hear about the school paper issues. Hope you can get it corrected soon and it isn't too much work!
    Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool thanks for playing with, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you had such a rough day! I hope things are better for you tomorrow!

    Love, love, love the card, Lori! That image is just too cute and I love the colors you used!

    Stampin hugs, Becky:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fabulous card - love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great card. The paper you chose for the background works perfectly!
    Hope your revising isn't too much work for you!

    Holly
    hogwildaboutstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killing me with these Glam Girls . . . . every one you make is better than the next! This is so fantastic! The Cuttlebug embossing with the ink is so perfect with this image!

    The paper revision sounds awful. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is too cute for words!! I love everything about it!! She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips