Friday, August 22, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 61

This week's challenge was a color challenge. The colors to use were Chocolate Chip, More Mustard, Old Olive, and Ruby Red--definitely a fall sort of color scheme to me.

I knew right away that these colors would be perfect for the three step leaf images in the Autumn Squirrel set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. So that the detail of the leaf image would really stand out, I threw in a little bit of neutral to the mix (Very Vanilla) as the base for my stamped images. I stamped the leaf image three times using More Mustard, Ruby Red, and Chocolate Chip inks. I used a clear Stardust pen to trace some of the veins on the leaves to give the images just a little sparkle.

I stamped the sentiment "thankful" from the Vintage Words set in Ruby Red with the edges rolled just a bit in Chocolate Chip for an accent. And, to complete the challenge requirements, I sponged just a little Old Olive ink around the edges of the panel.

I used the Cuttlebug Forest Branches folder to make a textured panel for the cardfront. This pattern is a perfect match for tree and leaf themed cards. I rubbed the raised images with some shimmery white pigment ink to highlight the texture. It's much more subtle looking IRL. I also added a coordinating cream ribbon around the cardfront.

So that you get an idea of how the leaf image was "built," I used a piece of scrap paper to show the progression of the layers. First, More Mustard, second, Ruby Red layered over the More Mustard base, then Chocolate Chip added as the final layer. The detail in the image is amazing!

For some other great ideas using this color combination, you can visit the other very talented challenge players. Links to their blogs are found in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Autumn Squirrel and Vintage Words stamp sets (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Chocolate Chip, More Mustard, Old Olive, and Ruby Red Classic inks, Chocolate Chip, More Mustard, Ruby Red, and Very Vanilla cardstock, sponge (Stampin' Up!); Forest Branch embossing folder (Cuttlebug); cream satin ribbon (Target); Moonlight White pigment ink (Brilliance); clear Stardust pen (Sakura)

23 comments:

  1. Very pretty! These colors are perfect for Fall! SUP-AH job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Your right about these being fall colours. That leaf stamp is awesome.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Lori! Love that cuttlebug folder which looks fabulous as a background to your fall leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lori! Your leaves are just gorgeous! Such a beautiful design! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost got the cuttlebug folder but went with a few others. I hate when I see it used and then wish I would have gotten it.

    Great card and love those leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Lori - love those multi step stamps from KS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card, and the textured background goes so well with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Lori! I love the embossed background, makes it look like tree bark. Very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty! Love that layout, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the vibrancy of the leaves against the backdrop of black.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is definitely a "WOW"! The leaf is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty Lori! Your leaves are sensational...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool card. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card Lori! I love leaves. Leaves in any color really get me, but these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am loving all these wonderful Fall cards...Yours is no exception. Nicely done and the embossing folder looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card! Love the effect the layering gave the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very pretty!!! love that stamp set...another goes on the wish list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. With gas prices being so high, and trying to save money so that I can get milk... You sure are an enabler... sorry kids... you're gonna have to eat DRY cereal again... momma needs some new stamps!!!
    Beautiful card

    ReplyDelete
  19. These colors are so perfect for that image. I love how easy those stamps are to create such beautiful images. Wish SU would have added some more of those to our current catalog. Your card is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! I just love the detail on the leaves...so, so pretty! Thanks for sharing how you built them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful leaf set....looks very easy to use! Beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips