Friday, August 29, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 62

Summer is definitely winding down! The weather’s cooling off just a little bit. School started here this week. The miserable traffic delays that have been pretty much absent this summer have returned (it took about 1 1/2 hours for my 20 mile round trip to and from work yesterday), all signs that fall’s not too far off. Even Cosmo the crazy dog reflects the changes. Earlier this week, I had to “retire” Cosmo’s summer bandanna (I made it myself--you can see it here) and replace it with a new one. I picked a Wisconsin Badgers one for the upcoming college football season, yet another sign of fall. For this week’s challenge, we had a choice in honor of the Labor Day weekend, marking the unofficial end of summer. We could make a patriotic themed card or a baby themed one for the challenge. I went for one final red, white, and blue card for the season to create a card with a patriotic theme using the Playful Stars set from Kitchen Sink Stamps.

I stamped several of the different star images randomly on a piece of Shimmery White cardstock using some shimmery red and blue inks. I wish the photo captured the subtle sparkle better! I layered the stamped panel over a piece of paper with stripes in red, white, and shades of blue.

The ribbon is threaded through a slit I made in the card’s crease. It wraps around the inside of the card and is knotted at the left side of the card. The white looks so crisp against the bold red cardfront.

The sentiment is from the Ready 4 Any Holiday stamp set. It was a bit longer than the word window punch, so I stamped the sentiment on a narrow navy scrap and slid the scrap into the punch so that I could extend it just little bit so it would fit. I added a red star brad at the left end of the sentiment, then layered it over the stamped panel so it extended slightly beyond the panel.

You can find links to the other challenge participants in the sidebar to the right. They’re always wonderful sources for more inspiration.

Materials Used:
Playful Stars and Ready 4 Any Holiday stamp sets (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Moonlight White, Pearlescent Poppy and Pearlescent Sky Blue inks (Brilliance); Riding Hood Red, Night of Navy, Soft Sky, and Shimmery White cardstock, word window punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, white gel pen, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); white grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); patterned paper, star brad (Making Memories)

22 comments:

  1. Love the colors on this card, the light blue and dark blue and the little stitched piece are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Lori...such a wonderfully festive patriotic card. Love all your special touches, like the ribbon and star brad. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so festively patriotic! I bet IRL, it's even more wonderful! This is a GREAT addition to our challenge for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great patriotic card - love the shimmer inks on the shimmer card stock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous patriotic card Lori! sorry that your commute is going to be long again...ugh...I'm glad I only have to walk one block to work...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful patriotic card!!!I love the lay out and crisp look of the stars and all of the elements! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Lori. I love the white ribbon on the red background, too! And that sentiment is perfect...need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it Lori! So festive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing is more patriotic than stars. This card is beautiful. I love the ribbon accent....very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card! I love the layers and the words are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun and energetic card...definitely patriotic and BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card Lori! Love the clean lines and the lil bit of shimmer! Gorgeous patriotic card! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very striking card! I love the layout...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori, this is awesome. I love, love the layout and the stars are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori, this is neat. Love the layout and those stars are perfect!

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful patriotic card Lori! I love how your stars turned out on the shimmer paper! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun. Love all the stars. The simmer is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. The different shades of blue really look good together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh...I really like the different blues together. Great card Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice card. The colors are so vibrant and I bet it's super pretty in real life (I love the shimmery white card stock).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips