Sunday, August 31, 2008

Celebrate!

At the SU! convention last month (was it almost a month ago already? Wow!), Shelli Gardner announced that she'd be starting a blog and including some challenges for SU! demos and customers as well. The first challenge was to create a project that includes the word "celebrate" in it. Today is the deadline for project submissions, so I got mine completed and in just in time!

My project is based on one I received in a swap at convention with my swap group, the Great Swaps Girls. I loved the layout of LeeAnn's card and I've been wanting to do my own version since I first saw her creation. She described the card as an accordian card, which is an appropriate name for the alternate folds at the card's base. I thought I could make a celebration themed one by combining a few SU! sets. This card was so easy to make and looks great when open or closed.

I used a pink and brown color theme so that I could have a yummy looking cupcake as the last image. The front image is the from Big Bold Birthday. The second image is from the new Crazy for Cupcakes set. I paper pieced the balloon image, attaching it to the panel with dimensionals and covering it with Crystal Effects for a shiny look. The next image is one of the gift boxes from Big Bold Birthday. I added a rhinestone brad to the gift box. The final image is the large cupcake image from Crazy for Cupcakes. I paper pieced this image too and added some glittery embellishment.
The belly band (seen in the first photo) that holds it all together is stamped with the "celebrate" sentiment from Celebrate Everything. I wrapped a piece of Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon around the panel for a fun accent. I'm so glad that SU! has made the Chocolate Chip ribbon available in the 1/4" size again. It's one of the colors I use a lot, so it's nice to have it back.

Here are a few more views of the project. It was a little hard to photograph so that all the different panels were visible, so I took a whole bunch of pictures from different angles. This one shows all of the different panels when the card is open. The final photo shows a sort of close up view of a few of the panels.
I'm looking forward to seeing--and participating in--Shelli's challenge for next month.



Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Celebrate Everything, Big Bold Birthday and Crazy for Cupcakes stamp sets, Regal Rose and Close to Cocoa Classic inks, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, Close to Cocoa, and Whisper White cardstock, Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon, Dazzling Diamonds, Stamp-a-ma-jig, 2-way glue pen, rhinestone brads, sponge, Crystal Effects, dimensionals

5 comments:

  1. Love your accordian card, Lori! It's so cute with the pinks and browns. Great for a birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute card and it looks difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FABULOUS project Lori! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has got to be one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips