Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Unity Stamp Co. Weekly Challenge

This is the inaugural installment of the Unity Stamp Co. Weekly Challenge. A bunch of Unity Stamp Co. fans have created a weekly challenge, leading up to Hip Hop Thursday in the Unity forum on SCS.

This week's challenge was to CASE a card made by one of Unity's super-talented design team members. I'm lucky enough to be in the Great Swaps Girls group with two Unity DT members, AJ and Maren, so I decided to pick one card from each of their galleries. If I had had just a little more time, I would have cased a card from Erin's (another GSG member) gallery, too.

The first card is based on this one found in AJ's gallery. I kept some elements of the layout the same (image panel against the left side of the card, layered on a slightly larger piece of patterned paper), while changing a few others, along with the color scheme and the stamps used.

For the main image, I used a stamp from the Gratitude=Joy stamp kit. I inked the image in Really Rust ink, then rolled the edges of the leaves in Close to Cocoa ink. After I stamped the image on a piece of vanilla cardstock, I added some speckles with my color spritzer tool. I haven't used this tool much--in fact, I think this might be the first time that I actually used it without totally messing up my stamped image. I added a pair of brads to the empty space at the left side of the image.

I liked the buttons on AJ's card, but with my design, I needed to make an adjustment to how they were used. I used just one large button, threaded with twine, at the edge of the patterned paper panel. I also changed the shape of the sentiment panel to fit my design. I really like this layout and I bet I'll use it again.

Materials Used:
Gratitude=Joy stamp kit (Unity Stamp Co.); Really Rust and Close to Cocoa Classic inks, Cameo Coral, Really Rust, and Very Vanilla cardstock, color spritzer, glue dot, dimensional (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Scenic Route); copper brads (Making Memories); button, twine (Walmart)

The second card is based on this one in Maren's gallery. I used images from the same stamp kit, Remember Happiness (the August Kit of the Month), but adjusted the layout to fit a standard sized card.

I stamped a trio of the small doodle flower image on a piece of white cardstock and colored them in a monochromatic pink color scheme using Copic markers. I added a tiny pink rhinestone to the center of each flower. In the lower right corner, I stamped the "daydream" sentiment in a dark rose ink (hmm . . . I just noticed this is the same sentiment as in the first card--wonder what that means?). I added a line of paper piercings from the edge of the panel to the sentiment. The image panel is distressed around the edges, layered on two panels, and attached to the cardfront with dimensionals.

For the cardfront, I used the same black layer with stitching around the edges, then attached to a white card base. It's a good thing that the paper strips across the cardfront cover my not-so-straight machine stitching!

Be sure to stop by the Unity member company forum at SCS to participate in the challenge. I think there may even be a prize for participants . . .

Materials Used:
Remember Happiness stamp kit (Unity Stamp Co.); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); white cardstock (Xerox); markers (Copic Ciao); Rose Red Classic ink, Rose Red, Pink Pirouette, Regal Rose, and Basic Black cardstock, distressing tool, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); white grosgrain ribbon, pink self-adhesive rhinestones (Michaels); sewing machine

27 comments:

  1. Hey Lori,
    HIP HOP. Love your CASE. Colors are so soothing. Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both of these, they are really really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lori

    Awesome job on both, the are soo pretty.

    Hip Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on both cards!!! I love the colors you chose! These are so very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just gorgeous, Lori! Great CASE's!!! smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori.. your cards turned out FANTASTIC! awesome job girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are fabulous! Luckily I have the first set and can CASE you sometime soon ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your cards are so fantastic! I really love that 2nd one though, great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors and layouts on BOTH your cards! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! These are both amazing!! Love the colors....really make the images pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab cards! LOVE that 2nd one especially:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty cards!! I really really liked the second one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW ~ 2 cards! Great job Lori, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both awesome! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lori~ GREAT cards!! I LOVE them both!! and gratitude = joy is one of my fave sets!!!
    fabulous stuff girlie- as usual!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey girl!!
    I wanted to say CONGRATS on being the spotlight over at Sketches this week!! I just love your cards!! You do such beauiful work!!
    Congrats!!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - thats a fab lift !

    Happy hopping !

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOOO, I love them both! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are both gorgeous cards in gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love 'em! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori, wowzie Love your cased cards!
    Very pretty!

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  22. both of these are beautiful cards! Definitely a job well done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty cards! I especially love the second one with the colored strips of cardstock behind the images.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pink, Pink, Pink, and more pink! I LOVE it! Can you tell pink is my favorite color! Your cards are stunning!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE THEM!!! These cards are soo great!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These 2 cards are SIMPLY GORGEOUS!! AMAZING!! BEAUTIFUL!! great work!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips