Friday, September 12, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 64

This week's challenge was to use designer papers on your project. I only have a few packs of the new SU! designer papers and my second order from the new catalog (including my mini catalog preorder stuff) isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday, so I went with the Sweet Always paper pack for my project.

I made a criss cross pocked card to show off three of the different patterns and one of the trendy new sets, Just Jawing. This turned out just as cute as I envisioned it. I love when that happens! I used a dotted and a striped paper to cover the panels on the outside of the criss cross card.

The belly band around the card is a piece of coordinating Chocolate Chip paper covered with a strip of yet another pattern from the Sweeet Always paper pack. I stamped the skull image twice on white cardstock and cut both images out. On one of them, I cut off the bone pieces. This one was layered on top of the other image using dimensionals. I stamped the heart-shaped eyes on scraps of Regal Rose cardstock and covered them with some Dazzling Diamonds before attaching them to the skull. After I attached the skull image to the belly band, I stamped the sentiment directly on the patterned paper in Chocolate Chip ink.

I used a different image from the Just Jawing set for the insert. I used markers to color the cherry image. Once it had dried, I covered the cherries with more Dazzling Diamonds. I layered the insert on Pink Pirouette cardstock to contrast just a little with the criss cross card's darker Regal Rose base. I added a Chocolate Chip round tab with a star, stamped in white craft ink and heat embossed with some Iridescent Ice embossing powder, to the top to finish it off.

For some other great ideas using designer paper, you can check out what the other participants have done for this challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Just Jawing stamp set, Chocolate Chip and Basic Black Classic inks, White Craft ink, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, Chocolate Chip, and Whisper White cardstock, Sweet Always patterned paper, Regal Rose and Chocolate Chip markers, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon, round tab punch, Iridescent Ice embossing powder, Sticky Strip, Dazzling Diamonds, 2 way glue pen, Stamp-a-ma-jig, dimensionals

25 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Lori....such a great way to show off designer paper, and that "cute"? skeleton...lol. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card ROCKS! Love how you stamped the sentiment on the band. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cute! Cute? Can skulls be cute? Well, this one is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, this definitely ROCKS! I love it! I just ordered this paper but my next order doesn't arrive until next Thursday :( lol
    Love the glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job with this weeks challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! That little skull really appeals to me for some reason. Awesome job with the perfect DSP for that set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THIS is cool!!! My daughter would love this card. It's so trendy!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this card, Lori! I have been on the fence about this set, but I think I just fell off the fence after seeing your card! I really like how you layered the skull!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too cute! I love that skull and crossbones and it looks great with your criss cross design! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this card. I am all into the skull and crossbones. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arrrgghhh! Ahoy me 'hearties! What a Cute card! Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way you showed off your DP!!!! Love the colors too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic criss-cross card Lori! You did a marvelous job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Criss-cross applesauce! You're the boss! This card rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just may be the "cutest" skull-themed card I've seen! LOL....it's a fabulous card and really shows off your choice of DSP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Card. The (Skelton) is so "in" right now you see them everywhere. Wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colors and the funky design!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soooo beginning to love this set. I am adding it to my order tonight! Great card. I love the paper choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! Hard to believe that skulls can be so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute is that??? I love your choices.. You're gonna make me break down and purchase this set.

    Selene~

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great layout, Lori and I love the paper you chose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of the sets I actually considered purchasing! I love this skull, and I'm not even "into" skulls! I just love it though!

    CUTE card! Awesome color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I really need to try making more folded cards.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips