Friday, September 5, 2008

Dancing Girl

The inspiration for this summery, interactive card came from my friend Michele. As soon as I finished describing the Aloha stamp set from Kitchen Sink Stamps, she said she couldn't wait to see a card where the dancing girl really "danced." So, here she is. Unfortunately, the movement part doesn't translate so well to a photo, so you'll have to trust me on that!

I used the helpful tilt card tutorial on SCS as a guide for adding movement to the dancer image. It's a similar idea to a slider card, but there's just a hole instead of a track for the image to move around in.

To do this, the dancer image is stamped twice, once on the panel that you see on the card and once on a scrap of cardstock. I experimented a little with color combinations for the image on scrap paper first. I ended up using a combination of pigment and dye inks for the dancer image. Using a "cat's eye" shaped ink pad made it much easier to ink up the skirt part of the image in a different color.

Just the skirt portion of the image is cut out and placed on dimensionals. The hidden mechanism allows the skirt to wiggle back and forth as the card is tilted from side to side.

Here's a closer view of the image panel. You can see that I added some details to the image with some Glaze pens in shades of pinks and reds. Then, I inked the edges of the panel with some Cool Caribbean ink--I haven't used that in a while! I stamped the sentiment in pink ink to coordinate with the floral patterned paper I used for most of the cardfront. I wrapped a piece of pink grosgrain ribbon around the cardfront, the attached the image panel with dimensionals to give the hidden mechanism enough room to wiggle. So fun!

Materials Used:
Aloha stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Cool Caribbean, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, and Regal Rose Classic inks, Cool Caribbean, Tempting Turquoise, Regal Rose, and Whisper White cardstock, Regal Rose wide grosgrain ribbon, dimensionals, sponge (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (DCWV's Summer Glitter Stack); Dune pigment ink (Colorbox); Aloe Vera and Tea Leaves inks (VersaMagic); Sweet Blush Palette ink (Papertrey Ink)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Lori!! now why didn't I think of that??!! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How stinkin cute is that!!!! Gotta have her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! I mean, this is really CUTE! I agree with the above comment . . . this needs a video!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wicked! I can't believe she dances AND looks so retro-chic too. Sweet! :O)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips