Saturday, September 6, 2008

What a Hoot!

It is an awful, rainy day here--the perfect kind for staying home and stamping (while watching college football, of course--Go Badgers!). Here's my first card for today, made for Beate's weekend sketch challenge.

I've had the Wise Owl set from Papertrey Ink for a while now, but hadn't inked it up yet. I thought the large owl image from the set would work nicely as the main image in this layout. This image is a lot of fun to use. I spent a little time "building" owls with the different elements (eyes, bellies, noses) on a piece of scrap paper before I decided on the version that I used on my card.
I stamped the owl on cream cardstock in PTI's Dark Chocolate ink. I used Copic markers in shades of brown, orange, and yellow to color in the image. Since I used a dark brown ink for the image and I wanted the centers of the owl's eyes to be black, I used a black Glaze pen to color over them.

The colors I used for the owl image matched this argyle patterned paper from a pack of fall cardstock I picked up recently. I layered it on a piece of Dark Chocolate cardstock , then on a piece of Lemon Tart cardstock, then used my sewing machine to zig zag stitch the panels together. I actually managed to sew kind of straight this time, which is a big achievement for me. I used some Lemon Tart and Summer Sunrise cardstock scraps to create the panel that stretches vertically across the card. I tied a piece of Dark Chocolate twill around the panel.

I struggled a little with where to add a sentiment to the card. I ended up punching out a round tab to stamp the sentiment on. I slid it between the owl image and the Lemon Tart piece I layered under the image.
I'll probably be back later with some more rainy day stamping results.

Materials Used:
Wise Owl stamp set, Dark Chocolate Palette ink, Dark Chocolate, Lemon Tart, Summer Sunrise, and Cream cardstock, Dark Chocolate twill (Papertrey Ink); round tab punch, scallop edge punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); markers (Copic Ciao); patterned paper (Me & My Big Ideas Cornucopia mat pad); black Glaze pen (Sakura) sewing machine

4 comments:

  1. This is just too darn cute, Lori! I love that cute little owl and the argyle bg paper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I love the image, your coloring and the paper! Great card!
    Thanks so much for playing! Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute owl, and I really like your use of the tab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouu! That owl is SO cute! Love the colours and your layout is so original. Great way to use the tab. :O)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips