Friday, November 7, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 72

This week’s challenge theme was “same but different.” The goal was to show how either the same stamps or the same layout could look completely different. This post does double—or triple—duty, as I’m sharing two cards today, one of which was created to swap at the SU! regional seminar tomorrow in Virginia Beach.

This is the card for I made for swapping. I wanted to use a set from the Holiday Mini catalog, but I didn’t buy any of the sets that you’d typically use for the holiday season. I got one of the Halloween sets, but Halloween is over, so I didn’t think that a swap with Halloween Frights would be well-received. That left me with the A Happy Heart set for my card.

I used some of the tons of Bella Rose designer paper that I have to create the panel for the cardfront. This is layered on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock. I stamped the heart image on Very Vanilla cardstock and trimmed around it. This is attached to the patterned paper panel with a dimensional. I added a photo corner punch at the upper left corner of the paper panel as an accent. I think this one came out with a very elegant look and feel.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
A Happy Heart stamp set, Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Chocolate Chip, Kraft and Very Vanilla cardstock, Bella Rose designer paper, Very Vanilla cardstock, photo corner punch, silver brad, dimensional


Here’s the second card, based on the layout of the other card. I gave this one a different look and feel by choosing a bright red card base and a whimsical image for the focal point. I used another piece of Bella Rose designer paper for the patterned paper panel along with a scrap of Pink Pirouette Patterns paper. I tied a strip of narrow Pretty in Pink ribbon around the panel.

The focal image is the cute cupcake from the Party Hearty set. I colored the image with markers and embellished it with a little Dazzling Diamonds. Since the image is small, I layered it on a scalloped circle panel before attaching it to the card. I also added a sentiment to this one, stamped at the bottom of the patterned paper panel in red ink. In the first card, the heart image kind of speaks for itself, so I didn’t think it was necessary there.

I really like seeing how the same layout can look so different! It all depends on the choices for images, colors, and patterns. Links to the blogs of the other challenge participants are located in the sidebar on the right. I’ll be checking them out after I return from my all too quick weekend in Virginia Beach.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
Party Hearty stamp set, Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, and Whisper White cardstock, Bella Rose and Pink Pirouette Patterns designer papers, Rose Red and Pretty in Pink markers, Pretty in Pink grosgrain ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, scallop circle punch, 1 3/8” circle punch, photo corner punch, silver brad, Dazzling Diamonds, dimensionals

23 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT layout Lori!!! Have fun at Regionals tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both darling, Lori!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards! And they both use the Bella Rose papers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout, and I love both of them! You're such a good knot tier too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Layout - love the accents of chocolate in the top card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really rocked the challenge this week! Both are wonderful examples of how to get the most from your sketches! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards. I love that Heart on your first card and the colors are great.
    The Cupcake card is very cute and I love the Polka Dots and how the accent on your cupcake matches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job with the cj=hallenge. Your cards are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute Lori! Terrific use of the DSP, perfect knots!, and great choice of stamps for each...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two beautiful cards employed in the sketches..Love the cupcake and scallop circle..
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are both great!!! Have a blast at the regionals tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic layout Lori! Your cards turned out beautifully! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute cards! Love the "love" theme going on! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cards Lori!! Wow you've had a very busy week. I hope you enjoyed Regionals and meeting Nicole:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori, these are fabulous. I love the top card, but that cupcake looks so tasty, and the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb layout, Lori! Love how the photo corner punch adds that extra special touch to both cards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simple yet GORGEOUS!!! I am falling in love with this paper all over again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so stinkin' cute! :) I especially love the first one! Wish I were in VA Beach to swap with you... Hope you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both are cute, but I really love the one with the heart. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! what great cards...amazing how changing the stamps and paper completely changes the look...at first glance they look competely different! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very cute cards, Lori! Sorry I missed you at regionals. Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips