Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hey Chick--It's Day 3!

Day 3 of the 12 Days of Christmas event at Paper Craft Planet has arrived. Today's challenge is to make a card that includes a chick, an owl, a hen or a rooster (for 3 French hens . . .). If you upload a card for the challenge, be sure to use the keyword 12day3 so it will get pulled into the day's album and be eligible for a prize from today's sponsor.

I pulled out my Hey Chick! set from Kitchen Sink Stamps for this one. I haven't used this one much since spring time, so it was fun to play with it again. I used Lauren's Saturday sketch as the basis for the card--starting with a sketch makes things go so much faster when I'm stamping.

The chick is stamped using a combination of yellow and brown inks for the 4 different steps. I added the "hey chick!" sentiment in Pumpkin Pie ink alongside the chick and created a shadow under the image by rubbing on some Stampin' Pastels.

I picked the colors for the card to coordinate with the colors in the funky patterned paper from K & Co. that I used for the panels underneath the stamped image. I matted the panels on Tangerine Tango cardstock before attaching them to the cardfront and assembling the rest of the card. I embellished the lower right corner with a trio of textured Prima flowers. The flowers are similar in color to the patterned paper. I added a pearly Dew Drop at the center of each flower.

I had originally planned to stamp the sentiment directly on the cardfront, along the side of the patterned paper panel, but changed my mind and put it on the image panel instead. Since I added the sentiment after stamping the chick image, the image panel looked off center to me, so I went back and added another textured Prima to the card, this one at the corner of the image panel to balance it out.

Tomorrow is Kitchen Sink Stamps Day, so be sure to stop back for more treats from the kitchen. I have a great project of the month ready to share with you . . .

Materials Used:
Hey Chick! stamp set, pearl Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Pumpkin Pie, Barely Banana, So Saffron, and Close to Cocoa Classic inks, Baja Breeze, Tangerine Tango, and Whisper White cardstock, Stampin' Pastels, Baja Breeze striped grosgrain, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Lemon Tart Palette ink (Papertrey Ink); rectangle and scalloped rectangle dies (Nestabilities); flowers (Prima); patterned paper (K & Co.)

5 comments:

 
Blogging tips