Friday, December 12, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 77

Here it is, as promised--my project for this week's blogger challenge. This week's challenge was to create a holiday ornament or decorations. Since I don't celebrate Christmas, I went with a more generic holiday/winter decoration.

My project was inspired by one I saw at the November SU! Regional Seminar in Virginia Beach. Linda Hansen showed a glass block with lights inside, decorated with some of SU!'s Shimmery Snowflakes Decor Decals. I thought about how I could adapt that and came up with this candle display. I bought a square glass vase (about 5" each side) at a local craft store. The vase is filled with clear glass pebbles and a pillar candle is set inside the pebbles.

The outside of the vase is decorated with some of the snowflakes. These shimmery snowflakes are self-adhesive and repositionable, too. This is the piece I was waiting anxiously for to arrive! My SU! order was scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. When it arrived on Wednesday, the decals were nowhere to be found in the box. I immediately called Demo Support and spoke to a helpful person who offered to send them out via USPS for arrival here within 5 days. When I told her that I had been planning to use them for a project for today, she graciously offered to switch up the shipping and send them out via overnight mail so I'd have them in time to complete my project. How's that for fabulous customer service??!!

This project came together in maybe 5 minutes. My photo doesn't really capture the pretty shimmer and sparkle, but I think you get the idea. I think I'll set this on my (used once since I moved here 7 1/2 years ago) dining room table as a centerpiece. And, I still have tons of snowflakes left from the package to use in other places. I'll have to find a window to put them on that Cosmo the crazy dog's nose prints can't reach!

For more creative holiday ideas, you can visit the rest of the challenge participants. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Snowflake Shimmer Decor Decals (Stampin' Up!); white pillar candle, glass vase, glass pebbles (Michaels)

25 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! WOW! Love that you used the decals! Great Idea!TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous holiday decoration, Lori! I'm glad you got to post it today, thanks to the wonderful DS person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Now I'm just going to HAVE to order some of those snowflakes! I have a square vase sitting here just waiting for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS LORI!! Great use of the decals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Lori! What a terrific idea! How wonderful that it only took a few moments to create! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I may have to get some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! And i'm sure it'll look great on your table. I'm glad you were able to get the snowflakes in time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is sooo cute I love it im not a STAMPER.... but i love it alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet this is so sparkly in person. It is truly a gorgeous decoration to be used the entire winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lori, this turned out beautifully. I never knew the decals looked so shimmery. This is really an awesome decoration to have around the house! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so are you going to do production and sell them? How much? My boss does not celebrate Christmas and this would be perfect.........aw come on....you know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, if I didn't mention it, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW...this is beautiful! It must be much larger than it looks online to have that many snowflakes on it! I love the shimmer on them...picture in the catalog does NOT do them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic idea! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! This is so pretty, what a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty. The snowflakes are perfect for winter.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips