Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Unity Challenge: Week 23

It was my turn to pick this week’s challenge for the Unity Addicts. I thought it would be fun to do something for Valentine’s Day that was a little different. I was thinking about my classroom teaching days and the fun little cards that my students exchanged (and that I found in my classroom, left behind, for the rest of the school year). So, I challenged everyone to create a cute little child’s Valentine card like the ones you might find in the boxes at the stores. They’re about the size of an ATC (mine is 2 ½” by 3 ½”) and usually have a cute image with a funny (or “punny”) saying.

Here’s my version. I used the owl image from Mix Up of Cuteness as the main image. The owl is colored with Copic markers, then cut out. I added a pair of heart brads as eyes.

I made a simple scene for my owl on a piece of matching Pink Pirouette paper. I used part of the branch from the Owl Always Love You kit and attached the owl over the branch with dimensionals. I stamped part of the “hoo loves ya, baby?” sentiment along the side of my little card. It fit perfectly! The final embellishment was a narrow piece of red grosgrain ribbon along the bottom of the card.

For more fun Valentine inspiration, you can visit the rest of the Unity Addicts. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Mix Up of Cuteness and Owl Always Love You kits (Unity Stamp Co.); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black and Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); markers (Copic Ciao); Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Pink Pirouette and Riding Hood Red cardstock, Real Red grosgrain ribbon, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); red heart brads (Making Memories)

6 comments:

  1. Cute!! Love the heart eyes and the bright colors!! great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and those heart brad eyes are just perfection! smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute card. Just love the heart brads for the owl's eyes. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, Lori!! The heart brads totally remind me of old cartoons when the guy falls for a girl and his eyes end up heart-shaped and popping out! *chuckle* Fantastic card, and fantastic challenge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips