Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Birdie and a Birthday

Saturday brings another sketch challenge from Paper Craft Planet. Jessica provided us with a pretty sketch to try this week.

Her sketch is perfect for those patterned papers that have a swirly image on one corner. I can never figure out what to do with those! Here, I used a swirly and striped paper from DCWV's The Sweet Stack as the main panel on my cardfront.

I added images from Unity's Birdie Inspiration kit to the panel. I used the pretty , stamped twice, once on white cardstock and once on Kiwi Kiss cardstock. The white image was trimmed along the interior dotted line. I stamped the birdie sentiment on the panel in Baja Breeze ink and sponged some ink along the edges of the panel, then I layered it on the slightly larger Kiwi panel.

I matched the sentiment with one of the fun chipboard birds from Stampin' Up!'s On Board Tweet chipboard pack. The bird's covered with Rose Red craft ink. I used a sparkly rhinestone brad to make the bird's eye--the medium sized brad fit the opening perfectly! The bird's attached with a pop-up glue dot to hold it firmly in place and to raise it just a bit from the card base.

Materials Used:
Birdie Inspiration kit (Unity Stamp Co.); Baja Breeze Classic ink, Rose Red Craft ink, Kiwi Kiss, Rose Red, and Whisper White cardstock, On Board So Tweet chipboard, sponge (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (DCVW's The Sweet Stack); rhinestone brad (Making Memories)


We're featuring birthday cards this month in the PCP design team gallery, so I've been working on some to add to the collection. I made this one using the latest sketch challenge at Stamp TV. The tall image panel was perfect for one of my favorite older Gina K images, this pretty trio of flowers in a vase from the Simple Pleasures set.

I stamped the image on a piece of cream cardstock, then colored it with Copic markers. I embellished the center of each flower with a tiny twinkle and added a thin layer of Crystal Effects to the water in the vase for a glassy look.

My colors were based on the fun patterned papers I used from a pair of new K & Company patterned paper pads I picked up at Michaels. The papers have bold colors and patterns, kind of retro looking, I guess you’d say. I mixed and matched three different patterns on this cardfront. The papers are layered on a Hibiscus Burst card base and I used a slightly deeper Raspberry Fizz ribbon across the cardfront. I added the “birthday wishes” sentiment from Gina K's Tag Lines set along the bottom right of the card in matching Hibiscus Burst ink.

Be sure to stop by the May DT gallery at Paper Craft Planet for some great birthday ideas. And, don't forget about this week's 3D challenge--there's a prize up for grabs (see the details in my post here).

Materials Used:
Simple Pleasures and Tag Lines stamp sets (Gina K Designs); cardstock and Tiny Twinkles (Taylored Expressions); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Hibiscus Burst Palette ink, Hibiscus Burst cardstock, Raspberry Fizz grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); patterned papers (Carolyn Gavin-K & Company); Kiwi Kiss cardstock, Crystal Effects (Stampin’ Up!)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lori, I really like both cards. The coloring is wonderful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love em both Lori! That bird is just the cutest thing ever!

    Hugs~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vase and flowers. Fun and lively colors and pattern combinations!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips