Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lots of Frosty Flakes

I am loving the new winter stamps from Verve! I used images from the Frosty Flakes set along with other wintery Verve sets for these two cards.

This one is for this week's Mojo Monday sketch challenge. I took my color inspiration from the pair of sparkly patterned papers from My Mind's Eye that I used to cover the Riding Hood Red card base. The outline and solid snowflake images from the Frosty Flakes and Christmas in the Air stamp sets are stamped in Baja Breeze ink on a white panel. I stamped the solid image off once before stamping on the panel for a softer look. The center of each snowflake is dotted with Crystal Stickles for some sparkle to match the designer papers. The sentiment is stamped in Riding Hood Red ink to stand out from the soft blue flakes. I sponged around the edges of the panel to dirty it up a bit to better match the other papers.

The rest of the card is fairly simple. A trio of sparkly silver dots frame the image and a coordinating button-embellished satin bow is attached to the panel as a final touch.

Materials Used:
Christmas in the Air and Frosty Flakes stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, and Creamy Caramel Classic inks, Riding Hood Red, Baja Breeze, and Whisper White cardstock, sponge (Stampin' Up!); designer papers (My Mind's Eye); Aqua Mist satin ribbon, Pure Poppy button, twine (Papertrey Ink); Crystal Stickles (Ranger); silver sparkly dots (Stamping Bella)

This card is for this week's Viva la Verve sketch challenge. The twist to go along with the sketch is to use the polished stone technique. As I was doing this, I remembered why I don't use that one too much--I always end up making a big mess with the Ultra Thick embossing powder. I think I finally may have figured out a way around the mess, but I have a feeling it will be a while before I try it again to see if my solution works.

This card has a pretty similar color scheme to the first one. I switched out the Baja Breeze for deeper, grayer blue Ocean and used a different My Mind's Eye patterned paper to cover most of the cardfront. The smaller solid snowflakes from the Frosty Flakes stamp set are stamped on cream cardstock for the polished stone panel. It's layered on an Ocean Tides panel, tied with an Aqua Mist ribbon and stamped with a sentiment from the Snow Wonderful stamp set. The oval panel on the right of the card is embossed with a snowflake pattern. It's a little more "vintage" looking than I usually do, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Materials Used:
Frosty Flakes and Snow Wonderful stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Aqua Mist and Vintage Cream inks, Ocean Tides cardstock, Aqua Mist satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Riding Hood Red and Very Vanilla cardstock, ultra thick embossing powder (Stampin' Up!); designer paper (My Mind's Eye); Snowflake embossing folder (QuicKutz)

2 comments:

 
Blogging tips