Friday, December 4, 2009

Blogger Challenge: Week 128

This week’s blogger challenge theme is to create an ornament or holiday décor item. I went with holiday décor for my children’s book inspired project. Remember the Chris Van Allsburg book, Polar Express (or maybe the movie?)? That’s what inspired this creation.

During a recent trip to Michaels with my best friend, a plain wooden sled caught my eye and “jumped” into my basket. I thought that I could dress it up just a bit to make a simple holiday decoration. I picked up some paints, rhinestone letters, and a big silver bell to do the job.

I painted the sled with some acrylic paints (blue for the sled, silver for the blades), then used a silver ink pad to add a large stamped snowflake from Papertrey Ink’s Snowfall Additions stamp set to the sled. After the ink dried, I used rhinestone letters in a slightly darker shade of blue to spell out the word “believe.” I tied a bow using a piece of blue satin ribbon, then added a silver bell to the bow’s center. This completed my Polar Express inspired holiday piece. Even though I’m not a classroom teacher at the present time, I still love a good children’s picture book!

And, for more ornament and seasonal decoration ideas, you can visit the rest of the challenge players. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Snowfall Additions stamp set (Papertrey Ink); silver ink (Encore); rhinestone “believe” (Studio 18); wooden sled, blue ribbon, silver bell (Michaels); acrylic paints

9 comments:

  1. I see you have that 'jumping' product problem too! LOL!
    Super cute idea Lori - love what you've done with this wayward sled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! Love this entire project and wish I had your imagination for projects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Lori - I have that same sled just waiting to be altered, love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! Love the blue and silver!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job with the ornament- love the Polar Express theme and the addition of the bell! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely little sleigh! So super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! I love the Believe sentiment on the front! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips