Monday, February 8, 2010

Earth-Toned Note

Here's my card for this week's Viva la Verve inspiration and sketch challenge. The large flowers in one of the inspiration photos caught my eye, along with the kind of rustic, weathered look of the furniture and I incorporated those elements into my design.

I used one of the flowers from Verve's Believe stamp set for the focal image. I stamped the flower in Versamark on a cream panel, then heat embossed the image so I could use the emboss resist technique. A sponge with Ripe Avocado ink was rubbed over the panel to reveal the flowers.

I paired the image with a trio of patterned papers from Papertrey Ink's Turning a New Leaf paper pad. The colors and rustic, distressed feel of the papers seemed to be a good match for the look I was going for. With sketches like this one that have a kind of patchwork of paper panels, I always have a hard time getting the sizes of the pieces just right and this card was no exception. A few pieces of patterned paper ended up in my scrap bag before I got everything to fit.

The final element I added was the "just a note" sentiment from the Accent Notes set. It's stamped on a kraft panel and accented with a piece of knotted brown grosgrain ribbon that I rescued from my scrap pile.

Materials Used:
Believe and Accent Notes stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Dark Chocolate and Ripe Avocado inks, Ripe Avocado cardstock, Turning a New Leaf papers (Papertrey Ink); Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, and Kraft cardstock, Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon, Crystal Clear embossing powder (Stampin' Up!); Versamark (Tsukineko)

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous, those colors together are very rich looking and the emboss resist looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how illustrators use their own set! And I love seeing such out of the ordinary ideas! Love this

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips