Friday, April 9, 2010

Blogger Challenge: Week 146/Friends with Flair

Before I share my project, I have to follow up on my post from yesterday morning. It was a great day for hockey if you're a Wisconsin Badger fan. They'll be playing tomorrow night for the Frozen Four championship. Chloe the cutie puppy will need to put her bandanna back on again (seen here)! Wish me luck with that . . .

Now, on to my project. This week’s blogger challenge was to alter something. At first I was at a loss for what to do—not that I don’t have a big stash of stuff that I could use, but nothing jumped out at me. Then, I saw an empty ribbon spool on my table and decided to use that for the challenge. I turned the spool into a small keepsake container in no time at all.

I used a craft knife to carefully remove one end of the spool to serve as the top. I covered it with a yellow scalloped circle panel, then added a coordinating piece of striped paper from Basic Grey’s Green at Heart line. I stamped the round “this is a happy life” image from Unity’s March Stampin’ Store Kit, Adventures in Happiness, in black ink on a white panel and colored the image with Copic markers. The image is matted on a pink circle, then added it to the lid with foam tape, slightly off center so I’d have room to slip a section of a sparkly flourish underneath the panel. I used some of the excess bling from the flourish to decorate the dots over the i’s.

For the base, I cut a second scalloped circle, then cut out a circle from the center so I could place it on the spool securely. The bottom of the inside of the spool is covered with the cutout piece. I used a white pen to fill in any areas that got nicked by my craft knife to match the rest of the spool. The two sides of the center of the spool are covered with strips of coordinating velvet paper, secured with red line tape.

For more altered projects, you can check out what the rest of the challenge players have created. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right. And, you can check out the full list of Friends with Flair players on the Unity blog for more Unity inspiration.

Materials Used:
from
i {heart} papers: Unity Stamp Co. March Stampin’ Store Kit-Adventures in Happiness, medium weight Copic cardstock, Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Copic markers (R02, RV32, Y21); Nestabilities circle and scalloped circle dies, Basic Grey Green at Heart designer paper, Zva Creative crystal flourish, SEI Happy Day velvet paper assortment 2, Ranger Inkssentials white pen, i {stick}papers tape

other: Barely Banana cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Innocent Pink cardstock (Gina K Designs); foam tape

41 comments:

  1. How cute, great way to go green and alter the ribbon spool. BTW - Chloe looks so cute with her bandanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is a fabulous idea! I won't be tossing those in the trash anymore! :)
    Your fuzzy baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a fun little project!

    lisa a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute project and what a great 'green' idea! Fun picture with the bandana! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever is that? That is too cute!!! Congrats on the Badger win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute Lori!! I have often wondered what to do with the ribbon spools I have had and thrown away!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great project Lori! How clever and creative! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative project and very cute too.
    Not much of a Hockey fan but I wish your team Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, not only is this darling, it is so darned clever! I usually end up just ripping them apart...and to think I've been wasting my ribbon spools.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori, this is such a beautiful project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a clever idea! I have been holding on to a ton of ribbon spools to do something with..this is so cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Lori, this is just so adorable. love the yellow color and circle shape. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. very creative and super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this..... fabulous! that stamp is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an original idea! Love it. {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool Lori! Love that stamp image too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever, clever, clever! So cute and such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's fabulous!! You are so talented - and Chloe is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another very inventive and well thought Altered item...Love the Green at Heart paper...and the Nestie large Scallop...
    thanks for sharinag this week.
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are too stinkin' smart!! Love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are too stinkin' smart!! Love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super fun project! Love that sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh gosh...aren't you so clever??!! I've just been tossing my ribbon spools into recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea for repurposing the ribbon spool! Going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Repurpose and reuse to the max! What a super cute use for an old ribbon spool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very clever!!! I love the stamp you chose also....looks like a Unity investigation is in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful idea Lori! You always have something so clever! Love that sentiment too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really cute and creative way to used something we all have lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohh Lorie - this is WONDERFUL. I love how you altered your trash! PERFECT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's now Thursday and I'm finally viewing these!
    LOVE your idea--what a clever gal you are!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips