Monday, May 31, 2010

What's Hot Wild Thing

Here's my entry for this month's My Favorite Things guest designer challenge. The theme is "what's hot," to be interpreted as you wish. I went with some hot new products from MFT plus a hot trend, variegated colors, for my card.

I used the cute new Little Loveosaurus stamp set for my image and sentiment. The dino image is paper pieced using some Basic Grey Origins designer paper. I picked a piece with varied shades of green, kind of the colors I imagine a dinosaur might have been. The pointy scales (or whatever) on its back and the little head peeking out from inside the dino's mouth are colored with Copic markers.

I used two new MFT products to create a fun, textured background for my dino. I cut a trio of felt clouds using the new Die-Namics cloud die. When I went to cut the clouds out, I discovered that I didn't have any white felt, so my clouds are ivory instead. I thought about running to the craft store to pick up white felt, but Chloe the cutie puppy was sound asleep at the time and there's no way I was disturbing a sleeping puppy--LOL! The ground is made with a piece of MFT's cork. I freehand trimmed it and attached it to the blue panel with some liquid glue. The coordinating "wild thing" sentiment, accented with a button, is at one end of the cork. The dino is at the other, attached with some foam tape.

Materials Used:
Little Loveosaurus stamp set, Die-Namics clouds, cork (My Favorite Things); Kiwi Kiss and Baja Breeze cardstock, word window punch (Stampin' Up!); Origins designer paper (Basic Grey); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); felt; sewing machine; foam tape


Here's another simple MFT project featuring another hot trend, text patterned paper. This is one for this week's Wednesday Stamp Club challenge. Since the challenge was to use text or music print paper, I figured I'd use text patterned paper to make a quick gift card holder featuring images from the I {Heart} Books set (you know, books, text, all that goes together).

I scored a 11" piece of cardstock into 3 sections (4", 4" , and 3"). To get the rounded edge for the top (smallest section), I slipped the paper through a Nestabilities circle die, then ran the paper through my machine. The set's bookworm sentiment is stamped on the flap, accented by paper piercing.

I covered the front of the gift card holder with some text patterned paper from the Manila pad from Basic Grey's new Basics line. The bookworm was stamped on some white paper, colored with Copic markers, and cut out. To keep the teeny tiny sides of the worm's glasses appearing intact, I stamped the image on the text patterned paper, then adhered the colored image. I used the same paper to make a simple pocket on the middle section inside the gift card holder. I forgot to take a picture of that part . . .

Materials Used:
I {Heart} Books stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Pacific Point and Real Red cardstock, Real Red grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!); circle die (Nestabilities)

1 comment:

  1. Cool cards! I especially love your little dino... how cute is he!
    (and I've been known not to do the hoovering because my dog is sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her!)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips