Friday, December 31, 2010

Blogger Challenge: Week 184/Friends with Flair

This week's blogger challenge is to reuse or recycle something for your project. I've been using a piece of corrugated cardboard that came as an insert in a package I received recently on a bunch of projects this week, so since it seemed to be working for me, I stayed with that idea for this card.

Here, the corrugated cardboard makes an appearance as gift boxes. I cut two different sized "packages" from the cardboard and dressed them up with some baker's twine and buttons. The corrugated texture adds a lot of interest. I attached them to a Labels 4 die cut stamped with the birthday sentiment from Unity's Sweet Birthday Celebration kit.

For a festive look, I covered most of the cardfront with a star patterned paper from the My Mind's Eye Fine and Dandy True Blue paper pad. I used the star images from the kit to stamp stars on a gold strip that runs across the card. The sentiment panel is layered over the top of the stamped strip. I used some dimensional dots to hold the gift boxes securely in place.

For more projects using reused or recycled items, you can check out what the rest of the challenge players have created. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right. And, be sure to visit the Unity Friends with Flair players, too. A list of links can be found on the Unity blog.

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Unity Stamp Co. Sweet Birthday Celebration kit, Memento Rich Cocoa ink, Spellbinders Labels 4 die, My Mind's Eye Fine and Dandy True Blue designer paper, Jillibean Soup orange/yellow baker's twine, Zva Creative dimensional dots

other: Pumpkin Pie and Very Vanilla cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Hawaiian Shores and Harvest Gold cardstock, buttons (Papertrey Ink); Vivid Straw ink (Clearsnap); silver brads (Joann); corrugated cardboard

23 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Very clever indeed...love it! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recycle idea for a card. Very clever and so cute on this birthday card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The corrugated cardboard makes great packages. Cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey lori! Love your card, the cardboard presents are awesome!! Happy New Year!! Heres to a wonderful 2011 crafty and otherwise! All the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I wish that I had your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute, great use of the cardboard for the presents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's almost comical because we spent the morning cleaning out the basement and flattening cardboard to recycle! These packages are darned cute and the card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic!!! What a great idea...I will be CASEing this card for sure!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent...love the corrugated cardboard gift boxes. Great recycle reuse project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card! The corrugated cardboard is perfect for tiny little packages! Love the dp, your layers, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic card Lori! Great idea to use the cardboard for the packages! Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how that looks! Makes a great present. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fun card!!!!love how you did the presents!!
    have a Great new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Lori!

    I LOVE your little presents! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those upcycled boxes! Happy New Year!
    *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori,
    This is darling. I will try incorporate corrugated box material in one of my next cards. I also love that paper. Very festive for a birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this idea, will definetly use it, thanks. HNY

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! Love the little packages from the cardboard. Clever and Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the corrugated "gifts"...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic recycle idea!! I may just have to use it!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips