Sunday, December 26, 2010

Papertrey Ink December Blog Hop-Holiday Leftovers


The challenge for this month's Papertrey Ink blog hop is to use your leftover holiday items as part of a paper crafting project. Since I don't celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah was over several weeks ago, I really didn't have the typical holiday leftovers like wrapping paper, ribbon, gift tags and such readily available, so I improvised. I used a corrugated cardboard insert that came in a package I got in the mail recently. It wasn't exactly a holiday leftover, but it was a leftover, so it will have to do.

Since I've been doing a lot of holiday and wintery cards, I went in a totally different direction for a change. For this card, I used the cardboard to create a wood-like ruler using the ruler image from It's Official stamped in black ink. I built the card around the ruler image. A fancy edged panel, cut from Dark Chocolate cardstock using one of the pieces from the Banner Borders die, is at the bottom of the ruler.

For the sentiment, I stuck with the school tools theme and stamped the notebook paper strip from It's Official a few times in Hawaiian Shores ink on a white panel cut with the Spiral Notebook Page die. One of the teacher sentiments from the Teacher's Apple set is stamped on my faux notebook paper in red ink. I used one of the star dies to cut a Harvest Gold felt star and added that to the end of the ruler. A red button, tied with some baker's twine, dresses it up a bit. Everything's arranged on a panel of red Distressed Dots paper with a stitched edge. The panel is attached to a kraft card base.

Materials Used:
It's Official and Teacher's Apple stamp sets, Hawaiian Shores and Pure Poppy ink, Dark Chocolate, Kraft, and White cardstock, Distressed Dots patterned paper, Banner Borders, Spiral Notebook Page, and Seeing Stars Collection dies, Harvest Gold felt, Pure Poppy button, Pure Poppy baker's twine (Papertrey Ink); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); sewing machine; cardboard


And, after I finished the card, I decided to see if I could cut the cardboard with one of PTI's dies. I found that it worked, so I went ahead and made a quick birthday tag featuring one of PTI's new releases.

I cut the Tag Sale 1 die from the cardboard for the tag's base. To dress it up, I attached several paper panels, including a little piece of pink Happy Spots paper, a strip cut with the Banner Borders die, and one cut with the Double-Ended Banner die. I let the notched end of the banner die strip extend a little beyond the edge of the tag to add some interest.

I stamped one of the presents and ribbons from the new Make a Wish Additions set in coordinating colors and set that on the tag. The ribbon/bow combo's dressed up with a big clear crystal. The "HB2U" sentiment from Birthday Bash Sentiments is stamped next to the gift. I added a button, tied with some pink baker's twine next to the gift to finish off the tag. So cute and really easy to make! It'll look great on a kraft gift bag.

Materials Used:
Make a Wish Additions and Birthday Bash Sentiments stamp sets, Sweet Blush and Dark Chocolate inks, Sweet Blush, Dark Chocolate, and White cardstock, Happy Spots patterned paper, Tag Sale 1, Banner Borders, Double-Ended Banners, and Make a Wish Collection dies, Dark Chocolate button (Papertrey Ink); pink baker's twine (Divine Twine); clear crystal (Imaginisce); foam tape

35 comments:

  1. LOVE your card!! (Wish I'll get a similar one from my students one day (-: )
    And your tag is sooo beautiful!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card!! I'm a teacher and I'd LOVE one:) I also like your tag. Great colors and the bling is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card and your tag is super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I saw your card and thought it was ADORABLE and then I was scrolling down to leave a comment and saw your tag! OOOOH! It is so pretty! Maybe because I am a sucker for pink and brown but maybe it's because it is just so stinkin' CUTE! LOVE the HB 2 U and the gift and the polka dot paper???!! FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card and tag. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE how you did that ruler! Way to go making a cheery cute card and a super elegant tag all in one hop...and with recycled stuff, no less! Great job, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great improv work, Lori! Your card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on both of them. Love the ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are fab! Love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great use of cardboard leftovers. The birthday tag is so cute - pink and chocolate go so well together! The cardboard also makes perfect ruler too on y!our first card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the teacher card. I'm going to CASE it, if you don't mind....and the tag is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, love your card & tag! So pretty! Hmmm and I think I've got a lot of cardboard around here, too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. great projects...love how you made the challenge work for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, I love the ruler! That was so clever of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them both! I think that is one of the best sentiments on your card. And you brought it all together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of these are just amazing!!! I love your creativeness in using a cardboard box! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that card, Lori! And the tag is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both super adorable!! It is fun to see non-holiday projects too! Love the pink tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute projects, Lori!! Love the idea of using cardboard for your crafts. I have tons of boxes etc from Christmas shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two fun ideas. Love the use of cardboard.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love that you used cardboard for your recycled/reused material! the ruler looks awesome and the tag is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to make a challenge work for you even when it doesn't! :) Great card, great tag. I really oughta pay more attention to cardboard inserts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool use of the cardboard! I have not thought of that, so THANKS! I love the ruler on the card and the banner die at the bottom. And you tag...you can't go wrong with pink and brown!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh fabulous use of the cardboard! Awesome tag!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these are both great- and fun to know another material we can use our dies on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both of these projects are so beautifully done Lori.

    I especially love the tag...so very pretty. I can see that I will NEED that birthday set and the matching dies very soon :-).

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! great card AND tag. I can't decide which one I like more. who needs holiday leftovers?! nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lori!! I love your card and tag!! They are absolutely adorable!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips