Friday, March 11, 2011

Blogger Challenge: Week 194

This week’s blogger challenge is to make a birthday card. I pulled out one of my Chicken Girl Design sets from i {heart} papers and combined the images with this week’s Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge to create a birthday card perfect for a little one.

Sketches like this one with lots of little panels really challenge me—I always have such a hard time getting the pieces the right size and then, if they are the right size, getting them lined up just right. I started with the small kraft rectangles that serve as the mats underneath the patterned paper pieces and the image panel and worked from there. Once I had those figured out, I went back and filled in. I used patterned papers from just one collection (the My Mind’s Eye Alphabet Soup-Boy one) to make it easier to find an eye-pleasing mix without investing too much time. After cutting the pieces, I played around with the arrangement until I came up with one I liked, then glued everything in place.

I used the bunny image from the Birthday Wishes set as the focal image. The bunny is colored with Copic markers. I added a fluffy white tail using a little Flower Soft. The balloon was stamped a second time on a cardstock scrap, colored and cut out, then attached to the panel with a dimensional dot. A thin coating of Glossy Accents gives it a shiny look. I stamped the coordinating sentiment underneath the image and attached the panel to the cardfront. Some red baker’s twine looped around the card and tied in a bow adds a fun, festive touch to finish the card.

For more birthday card ideas, check out the links below. And, if you join in the challenge, feel free to add your link to the list.


Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Chicken Girl Design Birthday Wishes stamp set, X-Press Copic blending cardstock, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Copic markers (E25, E31, E34, R21, YR12, YR15, YR16, YR20, W00, W-1), Polar White Flower Soft, My Mind’s Eye Alphabet Soup-Boy Collection Kit, Zva Creative dimensional dots, Ranger Glossy Accents, Divine Twine Cherry Red baker’s twine

other: Aqua Mist cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Pumpkin Pie and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); inside pinking border die (The Cat’s Pajamas)

13 comments:

  1. This is such a cute card love all the panels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Lori, love the patterned papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful patterned papers background. The cute bunny just tops it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous card, Lori. Love your selection of papers for this lovely layout...they go so nicely together. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute card! Such a darling image and I love your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layout and papers you have used. Darling image

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cte, cute cute--love it all!
    Hugs, Nola

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sketch works great with the coordinating papers. What a darling bunny image! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a cute image! The piecing of the designer paper looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just so cute!! The image is adorable and I love the layout. GREAT card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a fabulous job with this sketch. Love the coloring and the different designer papers -- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute Lori! Love these MME papers! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips