Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bringing on the Bling

I have two cards featuring images from my favorite My Favorite Things lines--Pure Innocence and á la modes. Both cards have a fun, blinged out element for lots of sparkle and shine, which seems to be missing from my life lately. The dark cloud that's been over my head and house this week has remained in place. Chloe the cutie puppy has developed raging infections in both of her long, floppy ears and the vet said they needed to be treated "aggressively." This meant she had to get a bunch of shots and medicine this morning at the vet. Right now, she's encased in the "cone of shame" and none too happy about it. I have a feeling that the next few days will be long ones here . . .

Here's my card for this month's guest designer challenge with a blue jeans and bling theme. It was just the push I needed to use the pair of old denim jeans I'd set aside for the purpose of making denim embellishments for crafting!

I used the Pure Innocence Being Cute Is What I Do set for my card. I stamped the little girl on white cardstock and colored her with Copic markers. I stamped her pants on a piece of the denim, cut them out and attached them to the image for a textured look and feel. One tip for this--to get a good, solid impression, use a hybrid ink for this, like the ones from Clear and Simple Stamps. The denim was much thicker than the paper and looked funny, so I solved that by stamping the image a second time and coloring the shirt, then cutting that out and attaching it to the image, making sure that I overlapped the top of the denim just a bit. I used a bit of denim to cover the flower on her shirt, adding a clear crystal at the center for some sparkle.

The rest of the card is pretty simple. The girl is set on an oval panel using foam tape. I used a piece of striped paper from Echo Park's Be Mine collection for the panel behind her. The striped panel is edged with a scallop edged denim strip and some bright pink grosgrain ribbon. I ran a strip of self-adhesive bling down the seam between the ribbon and denim. The panel is set on a dot embossed pale pink panel that's layered on a bright pink card base. I added the sentiment on a little banner strip that extends out from under the image.

Materials Used:
Pure Innocence Being Cute Is What I Do stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); Perfect Little Black Dress ink (Clear and Simple Stamps); markers (Copic); Melon Mambo Classic ink, Melon Mambo and Pink Pirouette cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Be Mine Collection Kit (Echo Park); oval die (Spellbinders); medium scallop edge die (Papertrey Ink); pink grosgrain ribbon, self-adhesive rhinestone strip (Recollections/Michaels); Polka Dots embossing folder (Sizzix); Pink Stickles (Ranger); foam tape

This card is for this week's Wednesday Stamp Club sketch challenge. Since Teacher Appreciation Week is coming up, I though it would be appropriate to use the á la modes You Rule image on this one. I paired her with a trio of school-ish patterned paper from Pink Paislee's Hometown Summer collection for my card.

After coloring and cutting out the teacher image, I set her on a piece of grid patterned paper that I cut along the top with MFT's Notebook Edge Die-namics die. I arranged her on a cardfront covered with two coordinating papers from the same paper collection. I thought stars and numbers were a good match for a teacher-themed card.

The matching "you're a class act" sentiment is stamped in red on a kraft panel and slipped underneath the image. I picked up a package of glittery gold stars (and a silver and a red/white/blue pack, too) on clearance recently and broke it out to dress up the card. Isn't a gold star the ultimate accent for a school-y card?

Materials Used:
á la modes You Rule stamp set, Notebook Edge Die-namics die (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Hometown Summer designer papers (Pink Paislee); red grosgrain ribbon, self-adhesive glittered star (Michaels/Recollections); corner rounder; foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips