Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hip Hip Hooray

This week’s Papertrey Ink Make it Monday video was on heat embossing. For my project, I tried to come up with something a little out of the ordinary—and I think I did!

I decided to heat emboss the ruler image from the It’s Official set on a strip of balsa wood to get a “real” wood ruler. It worked great! I stamped the image on the wood using Versamark, then covered it with black embossing powder and heated it with my heat tool. The embossing’s not very raised but it did work. I used a craft knife and a ruler to cut the ruler out, then set it aside while I put the rest of the card together.

I machine stitched around the edges of a Distressed Dots panel then attached it to a kraft card base. For the sentiment panel, I used the spiral notebook page die on a piece of white cardstock, then stamped the line image from the It’s Official set repeatedly in Hawaiian Shores ink to cover the paper. The “hip hip hooray” sentiment from Fillable Frames #3 is stamped on the faux notebook paper panel in Pure Poppy ink. I attached the paper and the ruler to the cardfront on an angle, then added a layered cork/felt star where the two pieces meet. What a fun card to give to celebrate a special academic achievement!

Materials Used:
It’s Official and Fillable Frames #3 stamp sets, Pure Poppy and Hawaiian Shores inks, Kraft and White cardstock, Distressed Dots patterned paper, Spiral Notebook Page and Seeing Stars dies, Harvest Gold felt, Pure Poppy button, Pure Poppy baker’s twine (Papertrey Ink); cork (Creative Impressions); black embossing powder (Stampin’ Up!); sewing machine; balsa wood sheet

8 comments:

  1. Very nice embossing. Love the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!
    That ruler is awesome!
    Love everything about this...
    absolutely fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this is fantastic! I love how you used the ruler on wood...duh, I never would have thought of that, but its just perfect! I also love the colors and layout, you outdid yourself on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a lot of texture on one card. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is soooo cool, I love all the textures, wood and cork, great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your balsa wood ruler, Lori, and your bright + kraft color combo too! Fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I'm such a sucker for office supplies, this one caught my eye right away. The wood ruler is too cute. Love the texture throughout.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips