Monday, May 2, 2011

#1 Teacher

I'm thrilled to announce that I'm joining the Our Craft Lounge design team! I really enjoyed my time with OCL as last month's Artist of the Month and I'm so excited that I was asked to stay on as a regular member of the OCL team.

Here's my first card as an official DT member. It's for this week's OCL sketch challenge and uses the Bookworm set, which is perfect for cards for this week's observation of Teacher Appreciation Week. As a kindergarten teacher, I can't tell you how much it meant to me when I got a personal note from a parent (or a child) thanking me for making a difference in their child's life. I've saved those notes and love to look back at them for encouragement when I'm having a challenging day. So, if you have a child in school, consider doing that for your child's teacher this week. I promise--it will be appreciated!

Okay, about the card . . . I started out by flipping the sketch on its side to work with the images I wanted to work with. I used the pencil image from the School Notes set to make a few rows of pencils along the bottom of a white panel. The "teacher" image from the Bookworm set is stamped above the pencils. I colored the images with Copic markers, then edged the panel with red and gold strips.

I found some script text patterned paper in my stash and used it for the triangle panel across the top of the card. It's layered on a gold panel, carrying on the red/gold color scheme. I stamped the "#1" image on a white circle, colored in the worm twisted around the 1, and added it to the card at the point of the triangle, using foam tape. The panel is layered on a kraft card base. Instead of using patterned paper to cover it, the cardfront is stamped repeatedly with the "abc123" strip from the School Notes set. I went tone-on-tone for a subtle look.

I have one more OCL note before I go--be sure to check out this post for info about an opportunity to participate in a blog hop this weekend to celebrate National Scrapbooking Day. Even though I'm not a big scrapbooker, I'll be working on my page for the hop this week. I found the perfect picture for what I want to do, so you'll have to stop back here on Saturday to check it out.

Materials Used:
Bookworm and School Notes stamp sets (Our Craft Lounge); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic-R11, R12, R22, R24, R81, R83, E31, E34, E51, YR30, Y21, Y23, Y32,YG23, C00, C-1, C-3); Crumb Cake Classic ink, Riding Hood Red and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Harvest Gold cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Teacher's Pet-My New Pencil designer paper (Imaginisce); circle punches (EK Success); foam tape

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips