Sunday, September 4, 2011

Moxie Fab Weekend Fun

A long holiday weekend means lots of stamping time! With some of my extra time off from work, I played along in two Moxie Fab challenges.


This first card is for this week's Tuesday Trigger. I was inspired by the wood texture on the headboard in the photo, plus the little bows at the end of the banner, and, of course, the neutral color scheme. Based on the photo's natural colors and texture, plus the square shape of the pillows, I went with a simple, square nature themed card.

I built the card on a flecked cream cardstock, stamping the bird and branch images from the Tweet Notes set from Clear and Simple Stamps in brown ink. I added just the tiniest bit of color, using Copic markers to shade the leaves in green. To bring in the wood texture that is prominent in the photo, I stamped the bird a second time, this time on a thin wood sheet, cut out the stamped image and adhered it to the cardfront. A fluffy white die cut felt cloud is set above the bird.

For an additional wood-like element, I ran a strip of kraft cardstock through my die cutting machine with a woodgrain embossing folder and attached the strip to the bottom of the card. Some olive baker's twine is wrapped around the card, just above the top of the wood strip.

Materials Used:
Tweet Notes stamp set, Dish All the Dirt Brown ink, Kraft Like a Rockstar and Kraft Like a Rockstar Cream cardstock, Copic markers (YG93, YG95), Simple Cuts cloud die (Clear and Simple Stamps); woodgrain impression plate (Papertrey Ink); olive baker's twine (Timeless Twine); balsawood sheet; white felt


My second card is for the Card Ideas Week vertical sketch challenge. The Card Ideas Week challenges all celebrate the Card Ideas for Paper Crafters special issue. It's a particularly special issue to me since I have two cards published in it! If you have a copy, you can find my cards on pages 99 and 136--and if not, you need to get one. It's a great issue with tons of inspiration!

For my card for the sketch, I went seasonal, making a fun Halloween card with no stamping at all. I replaced the trio of triangles/pennants with a trio of different sized spider buttons. I got a big bag of these (mixed with bats) last year and I'm slowly working my way to the bottom. I arranged them in a staggered formation on a strip of orange on orange striped paper. Each spider sits at the end of a machine stitched web strand and is dressed up with a pair of clear crystal eyes.

The top of the card is covered with a strip of solid kraft cardstock. I added some sparkly Thickers, spelling "eek!"--which is exactly the way I feel when I see a spider!

As for the rest of my long weekend, I'm planning on doing a little more stamping today and I'm hoping that the forecast rain holds off a little so that I can enjoy a little playtime outside with Chloe the cutie puppy. A long holiday weekend wouldn't feel complete without that!

Materials Used:
Crumb Cake and Basic Black cardstock (Stampin' Up!); designer paper (Echo Park); black grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); spider buttons (Blumenthal Lansing); Thickers chipboard letter stickers (American Crafts); clear crystals (Imaginisce); sewing machine

4 comments:

  1. I especially like the use of texture (#1)and "fake texture" (#2) with the striped paper. I'm always up for dimensionals! Thanks for the inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the texture in the bird card - and what a sweet little accent the heart & note make!
    And those are the cutest spiders - shudder. Enjoy puppy time - I'm going to do the same thing this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lori! Thanks also for linking this up to the Horizontal Sketch Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips