Monday, September 5, 2011

Teacher

This week's CAS-ual Friday challenge is to create a project inspired by a book using black, white, and red. The card I came up with for the challenge also fits this week's Crazy 4 Challenges back to school theme and The Play Date Cafe's black and white with a splash of red challenge. Lots going on on this simple card!

Here's the story behind my card. I've always been a pretty voracious reader from just about the time I first learned to read. I read a pretty diverse selection of materials--some of my recent reads include The Boys of Winter (about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team), the entire Hunger Games trilogy (finished in less than two weeks), some professional articles for work, and Room (a novel about a mother and young child held in captivity). As a kindergarten teacher, I also have an extensive collection of children's books and after some thought, decided to base my card on one of my back to school favorites, Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten. It's the first in a series of rhyming books that are always a hit with my students and the author is local to my area, too.

Here's my story inspired card. I used chalkstock and the notebook line image from the Mint Motif School Basics set to make a notebook striped panel. The word "teacher" is stamped inside one of the lines in the same white ink. I layered the black panel on a red mat for a chalkboard-like look.

The set's apple image is stamped in black and filled in with the matching solid image in red. I cut the apple out and placed it on a white circle using dimensional dots, then added a black button tied with red baker's twine. The circle is set at the left edge of the chalkboard panel. I slipped a folded piece of black and white gingham ribbon underneath the circle as an accent to add a little texture to the design.

The weather forecast for today calls for rain, so I have a feeling I'll be spending a little time on my day off curled up with a book . . . not a bad way to spend the day in my book!

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Mint Motif School Basics stamp set, Canvas Corp. chalkstock, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black and Lady Bug inks, Spellbinders circle dies, Sticky Thumb dimensionals, Divine Twine Cherry Red baker's twine, May Arts black and white gingham ribbon

other: white cardstock (Xerox); Fresh Snow ink (Papertrey Ink)

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see a tribute to teachers. They deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve this! Love your story inspiration, we read that book many times in our house and its just perfect for this challenge :) Wonderfully designed card, love it to pieces! Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays and The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is adorable! I loved reading your book inspiration! (That hockey story is awesome! I might have to read the book!) I love the chalkboard look here and that little piece of ribbon! So cute! Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest loves the Mrs. Bindergarten books. Your card is a perfect representation Lori! So glad you joined us for CAS-ual Fridays!
    Oh and Room about KILLED me when I was reading it. talk about suspense...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is WAY cute!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips