Friday, November 30, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 23

This week's challenge was a little different. The challenge was to use the same stamp(s) on two different cards to showcase how versatile the stamp set is. It took me a while to figure out what stamp set to use, but I think I've found a good one for this challenge. I decided to use SU!'s Big Pieces set. There are so many things you can do with the images. They're great for one sheet wonder cards and for the centers of those jumbo paper clips, they can be flower centers, they can be ornaments, so many options . . .

This card uses the circular images as the centers of flowers. I colored the stamp with markers to get the two-colored image. I've punched holes through all of the layers of cardstock on the cardfront and set the images on the inside of the card using dimensionals. The holes are surrounded by a scalloped circle with the center punched out to make room for the stamped image. This technique is called a donut card and is a fun one to try.

The stems are made using my old-school paper crimper. It adds some fun texture to the front. The leaves are made by punching out a large oval and cutting it in half lengthwise.

Earlier in the year, I made a card using Big Pieces that's similar to this (that I actually like a LOT more). If you want to check it out, you can find it here, along with detailed step by step directions and pictures of how to make a donut card.

The second card is a masculine one using the same images. Just by changing the colors, the look of the images is completely different and perfect for a masculine card, which is something I tend to have such a hard time coming up with. This set made it easy! I stamped the images in shades of blue and green on a vanilla background. I used the faux suede technique on a strip of Blue Bayou cardstock to add texture to the cardfront. The sentiment is from the retired All Around Argyle hostess set. The font is a little "rough" looking and nice for masculine cards.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge group members have done for this week's challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.


Materials Used (first card):
Big Pieces and Small Sayings stamp sets, Pixie Pink, Tempting Turquoise, and Green Galore Classic inks, Pixie Pink, Tempting Turquoise, Green Galore, and Whisper White cardstock, 1 3/8" circle punch, scalloped circle punch, large oval punch, Tempting Turquoise grosgrain, paper crimper, mat pack and paper piercing tool, sponge, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); rhinestone brad (Target dollar spot)

Materials Used (second card):
Big Pieces and All-Around Argyle stamp sets, River Rock, Always Artichoke, Blue Bayou, and Not Quite Navy Classic inks, River Rock, Always Artichoke, Blue Bayou, and Very Vanilla cardstock, large oval punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); copper brad (Making Memories)

19 comments:

  1. I love Big Pieces and you did a great job showing how versitale this set is. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out great! Love how you have then used very differently.
    Nice way to showcase versatility :D
    I haven't touched that set in FOREVER! Thanks for reminding me I own it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job showing the versatility of this set! I don't think mine has ever seen ink...yikes! Love how you made flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of this set - love the brads as your flower centers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are great. Love that they look SO different!!!! Awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Lori! I love how you made a masculine and a feminine card with this set. Now that's versatility!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great and totally different! Love that set too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect use with this challenge! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those flowers, Lori. And then I spotted the Bella below...how cool is that globe. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, isn't it, how you can get so many looks from one set?! Great job....I should use this set too.....instead of saving it for....what?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popping on to say "hi" from a new member of SBS2.

    You have some wonderful projects on your blog - can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful cards! You did a great job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! These are both terrific! I love the flower card....how creative! And the 2nd card would be a great masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Big Pieces...what a great set. Your flowers are so cheerful and I love the colors on the more masculine card. Great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big Pieces is a favorite of mine,too! Love your color choices and the different ways you used the stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, you may have convinced me I need this set --- bad girl! Love both cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I REALLY need to pull out my Big Peices. So many possibilities...just as you've shown. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG that first card is just too too CUTE! And I do love the masculine card as well, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cards are wonderful using Big Pieces... great job with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips