Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ruff U, Chloe

Today's a special day in our house. Chloe the cutie puppy is celebrating her first birthday! It's hard to believe she's already one year old. She's grown and changed so much since I first saw her in March and introduced her in this post. I took her to the vet yesterday and she's up to 55 pounds, so I'm hoping she's fully grown. The photo below was taken this evening--she's looking a little shaggy right now, but I hope to have that taken care of next week.


This special occasion called for a special card, so I pulled one together using this week's Paper Craft Planet sketch challenge, provided by Loretta. I made a sweet, girlie card--even though Chloe's not a particularly girlie dog. She can tumble with the best of them at the local dog park! I'm proud to say that she even knows how to deliver a great shoulder check (maybe I should hook her up with the Washington Capitals??).

Anyway, I used the little dog image from Unity's I Ruff You kit as my focal image. I colored the image with Copic markers in shades similar to Chloe's fluffy and way overgrown and out of control fur. For the sentiment, I inked up and stamped just the word "ruff" from the kit's "ruff day" sentiment, then inked up just the "u" and stamped it.

I used two different papers from the My Mind's Eye Fine and Dandy Tickled Pink paper pad on the cardfront. A dotted pattern is underneath the image panel and a heart patterned one is arranged in strips on the cardfront. I attached a piece of pale pink faux suede ribbon down the length of the card and used my Bow Easy to make a matching bow for the top of the card. I added a trio of pink buttons to the edge of the image panel and drew on some faux thread with a white pen for a finished look. I hope Chloe won't mind that I'm keeping this card for myself. I've seen her rip enough papers to confetti to know exactly what would happen if I gave it to her . . .

Materials Used:

other: Blushing Bride cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Berry Sorbet cardstock (Papertrey Ink)

And, while I had my Unity stuff out and ready, I made a quick mini card for the latest All Things Unity challenge to make a mini card. Mine's a 3 x3 Valentine using the Wishes and Kisses November 2010 Stampin' Store kit.

I used the kit's scalloped heart as my focal image. It's heat embossed in black on a pink panel then cut out (that was a pain!). I added it to a black panel with a strip of dotted paper from Echo Park's Be Mine Collection Kit along the bottom. A pale gray strip has the kit's "be my Valentine" sentiment stamped on it. I slipped the strip underneath the heart and cut a notch in the end, letting it extend just a little beyond the card's edge. A black button, threaded with some black and white baker's twine, finishes the little card.

Materials Used:

other: Basic Black Craft ink, Basic Gray, Going Gray, Melon Mambo, and Basic Black cardstock, black embossing powder (Stampin' Up!); button (Papertrey Ink)

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, sweet Chloe!!!

    BOTH adorable cards, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards Lori! Happy Birthday Chloe, hope Momma treated you to a good snack tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love both your cards and love love love the stamps you used. Thanks for playing with us at ATU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your girlie dog card, Lori!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your pup is adorable, and so is her card, lori! now, the valentine card is esp. sweet! thanks for joining us at all things unity:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww too cute! Happy Belated Birthday lil' sweet Chloe :) great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE your pup! That puppy card is precious! JUST LOVE IT:) And that vday card--OH MY OH MY! I love it! I love that heart--so beautiful--makes me want to get this set! Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us at ATU!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are adorable! I really love your ATU card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both cards!!! Thanks for playing along with All Things Unity and Happy (belated) Birthday to Chloe!! I can't believe she's a year old already!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips